Homemade Baked Beans (Vegetarian) Recipe
Today’s post is one more addition to my Healthy Recipes section. It’s Homemade Baked Beans (Vegetarian) Recipe. A great breakfast option as it’s packed with proteins and nutrients that keep us going whole day!
Canned baked beans are readily available in market but if you hate the slimy boring taste then here’s a homemade version just for you 🙂. You can choose any beans type here with this recipe, either white beans, or Red kidney beans or Chickpeas, whichever you prefer. So here’s the recipe..
- 2 tbsp of Olive oil
- 1 cup dried white beans/ Red kidney beans
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp of fresh Tomato paste
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp Tomato sauce
- salt as per taste
- 1 tsp ground Pepper
- 1 tsp Red paprika/chilli flakes(optional if you like it bit more spicy).
- Some dried herbs(optional thyme, rosemary).
- 1/2 tsp sugar.
Instructions – Homemade Baked Beans (Vegetarian) Recipe
- Soak the beans overnight.
- Drain the previous water and cook them. You can cook them either in a pressure cooker or in a pot.
- To cook them in pressure cooker, put 3 cups water along with the beans and cook up to two whistles.
- To cook them in a pot, just add fresh water and bring it to boil, then add beans and simmer for 30 mins.
- Take a pan, add 2 tbsp of Olive oil, heat for a min.
- Now add bay leaf and chopped garlic.
- Add onions and saute for 3-4 mins till they turn golden.
- Add fresh Tomato paste, then add Tomato sauce, and vinegar. Cook for 2-3 mins.
- Once the tomato puree is nicely cooked, add spices(pepper and paprika) salt and sugar.
- Now add the cooked beans, and can also pour some water about 1/2 cup and bring it to boil.
- Cook the beans till you feel that they are thick enough for your bread. If you feel the beans are bit runny cook them for some more time.
- You can sprinkle some herbs or chopped spring onions.
Enjoy your breakfast with baked beans spread over multi grain bread toast 😋. Totally lip smacking!